Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2021 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Quinoa sushiBy Chatelaine
Make tonight sushi night! Let kids customize their own rolls with this small but mighty seed that's packed with protein, iron and amino acids.
- 3 cupscookedquinoa
- 1/3 cupveganmayonnaise ,such as Hellman's
- 2 tbspseasonedrice vinegar
- 4 sheetsnori (seaweed)
- 1/4 cupvegancaviar ,such as Ikea Sjörapport (optional)
- 1ripeavocado ,thinly sliced
- 1redbell pepper ,thinly sliced
- 2minicucumbers ,quartered lengthwise
- 1 cupmatchstickcarrots
- low-sodiumsoy sauce ,(optional)
- pickledginger ,(optional)
- Combine quinoa with mayo and vinegar in a large bowl.
- To assemble rolls, lay out bamboo mat so the sticks are parallel to you. Place a piece of plastic wrap overtop. Lay one nori sheet, shiny side down, on plastic wrap. Spread 3/4 cup of quinoa mixture over sheet to the edges, leaving a 1-in. nori border at the top.
- Spoon 1 tbsp caviar (if using) in a horizontal line in centre of quinoa. Arrange a row of avocado slices over caviar, followed by peppers, cucumbers and carrots.
- Roll, lifting the bamboo edge closest to you up and over the filling in the centre. Gently squeeze the sushi and tuck the seaweed edge slightly into the filling to form a tight roll. Dab the top border with water, then continue rolling the sushi upward.
- Cut rolls into 8 slices and serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger, if desired.
- Combine1 cup rinsed quinoa with 6 cups water in a pot. Set over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Gently boil until quinoa has sprouted, about 10 min for white quinoa. For tricoloured, red and black quinoa, cook an additional 5 to 7 min.
- Drain quinoa through a sieve and rinse with warm tap water. Use in recipe or transfer to a resealable container. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Makes 3 cups
If you would prefer not to roll sushi, you can serve this as a bowl. Cut nori sheets into thin strips, Divide quinoa mixture among four bowls, then top with nori, avocado, cucumbers,
carrots and pickled ginger. Drizzle soy sauce overtop.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 42 g,
- 24 g,
- 9 g,
- 290 mg.