Scotch EggsBy Today's Parent
- 1cuppanko bread crumbs
- 2-3cupscanola oil
- 500gmild Italian sausage ,meat removed from casings
- Cover eggs with water in a large pot. Bring to boil on high and boil for 4 to 5 min. Transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water and let cool for 5 min. Peel and pat dry.
- Divide sausage meat into 6 equal portions. Flatten each portion into a 5-in. circle. Lay a peeled egg in the centre of a circle and wrap sausage meat around egg to cover completely. Repeat with remaining eggs and meat.
- Pour panko into a shallow bowl. Coat sausage-covered eggs with panko bread crumbs completely.
- Pour oil into a large pot until it reaches 1/2 in. up the side. Heat over medium. Add 2 eggs. Cook, turning eggs often, until panko turns golden-brown, about 2 min. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining eggs. Serve sliced, warm or cold, with a side of sautéed spinach and grape tomatoes, if desired.
For a quick side, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add 1 tsp canola oil, then 1 pint grape tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes start to burst and soften slightly, 4 to 5 min. Add 6 cups baby spinach, 1 minced garlic clove and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Season with pepper. Cook until spinach wilts, 1 to 2 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 34 g,
- 21 g,
- 52 g,
- 1640 mg.