Originally published in the March + April 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Double Sheet Pan Chicken DinnerBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Sheet pan dinners are your saviour on busy weeknights. Everything cooks up together, no fuss. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
- 8chicken legs
- 6carrots ,peeled and halved lengthwise
- 4onions ,cut into wedges
- 450 gnewpotatoes ,unpeeled, halved if large
- 12garlic cloves ,crushed and peeled
- 3 tbspcanola oil
- 2 tspdried thyme
- 1 tspsalt
- ½ tsppepper
- 2lemons ,halved
- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven, then preheat to 450F. Set aside 2 baking sheets.
- Place 4 chicken legs on each sheet. Divide carrots, onions, potatoes and garlic among baking sheets. Drizzle half the oil, and sprinkle half the thyme, salt and pepper over each sheet. Toss everything, then arrange in single layer. Add 2 lemon halves to each sheet.
- Roast, switching racks halfway, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken reaches 165F, about 35 min.
- Serve 4 chicken legs with all of the potatoes, half of the roasted vegetables and garlic, and 1 lemon for drizzling. When cool, refrigerate remaining chicken, vegetables, garlic and lemon for another meal. Use within 4 days.
Makeover your leftovers
Roasted Chicken Risotto: Bring 900 mL chicken broth to a low simmer. Cook 1 cup arborio rice in 2 tbsp oil in a large pot over medium heat, 1 to 2 min. Add 1 ladle of broth at a time, stirring constantly until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Chop chicken (discarding bones and skin), carrots, onion and garlic into bite-sized pieces and add to risotto. Stir in ¾ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese and juice from remaining lemon.
Chicken Dinner Salad: Toss mixed salad greens in a large bowl with your favourite vinaigrette. Divide among 4 plates. Top with chopped reheated leftover chicken and vegetables. Add some crumbled feta cheese, if desired. Drizzle with juice from remaining lemon.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 36 g,
- 32 g,
- 24 g,
- 5 g,
- 440 mg.